BEST EVER PEPPER STEAK
This traditional pepper steak dish takes a favorite from the takeaway menu into your own kitchen. Strips of delicate steak are first marinated in a homemade sauce before being stir-fried with onions and bell peppers that have been sautéed. It’s not only quick and simple, but it’s also extremely tasty!
The key to making this pepper steak so dangerously wonderful is to marinate the beef strips in the sauce (without adding any cornstarch) for up to 24 hours. This will tenderize the flesh and heighten the taste of the pepper steak. The meat should be removed from the marinade and placed in a bowl when it has been done. Mix the cornstarch in with the liquid using a whisk.
THE INGREDIENTS LIST:
- Top round beef; I used 1 pound sliced into strips.
- 2 Tbsp.Of canola oil.
- Thinly sliced onion; a medium one.
- Sliced green bell pepper; a medium one.
- Sliced red bell pepper; a medium one.
FOR THE MARINADE; I USED:
- ¾ Cup.Of water.
- ¼ Cup.Of brown sugar.
- 3 Tbsp.Of soy sauce.
- 1 Tbsp.Of Worcestershire sauce.
- 1 Tbsp.Of garlic minced.
- 1 Tbsp.Of ginger minced.
- ¼ Tsp.Of red pepper flakes.
- 2 Tbsp.Of cornstarch.
- Step 1: In a medium bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the marinade (except for the cornstarch
- Step 2: After adding the beef strips to the marinade, place the mixture in the refrigerator for at least two hours and up to twenty-four hours, giving it a stir every so often.
- Step 3: When you are ready to cook the meat, take it from the marinade and set the marinade aside. Add oil to a pan or wok heated over medium heat and seasoned with cast iron.
- Step 4: Once the oil has reached the desired temp, add the sliced onion and peppers to the pan and stir-fry for approximately five minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Place on a platter and set aside.
- Step 5: After adding the beef to the pan and distributing it evenly, let it cook without moving for approximately a minute so that it may achieve a lovely sear. Continue to cook the meat, stirring it occasionally, for another two to three minutes, until it has browned.
- Step 6: After removing the steak from the pan, lay it on a platter together with the peppers. Combine the cornstarch and the marinade that was set aside by whisking them together.
- Step 7: Pour into the pan, then whisk constantly while bringing the brine to a boil. Let simmer for 2 minutes. Bring the temperature of the pan down to medium and then add the steak, onion, and peppers to it.
- Step 8: Stir to mix all of the ingredients, and then cook for one to two minutes, or until everything is cooked.
- Step 9: Turn off the heat and, if you so choose, garnish the dish with chopped green onion and sesame seeds.