This recipe was, without a doubt, prepared in a totally random manner. My family wanted burgers for supper, but I didn’t feel like going to the grocery, and we were all out of buns. After giving it some thought for a while, I concluded that I could still serve them burgers, but not in the way in which they were expected.
Now, I’m not going to try to convince you that they are the same thing; it should come as no surprise that they are not standard burgers. But those are the ones that are most often requested in my home right now. I was out of buns and too lazy to go to the store, so I opened the freezer and noticed that I did have some submarine sandwich buns in front of me. I told you that I was out of buns and that I was too lazy to run to the store. As a result, I snatched them up, and the rest, as they say, is now history; of course, I will tell you about it!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THE SUBS:
- Submarine buns; I used 4 for 4 servings.
- 1 Tbsp.Of Olive Oil
- 1 ½ pounds.Of lean ground beef.
- 2 small diced yellow onions.
- 1 Tsp.Of sea salt.
- 1 Tsp.Of freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 Tbsp.Of garlic powder.
- 1 Tbsp.Of Onion powder.
- ½ Cup.Of water.
- 1 Cup.Of shredded cheddar cheese.
FOR MAKING THE SAUCE, YOU’LL NEED:
- ½ Cup.Of mayonnaise.
- ¼ Cup.Of sweet relish.
- 1 Tbsp.Of yellow mustard.
- ¼ Tsp.Of black pepper.
- ¼ Tsp.Of sea salt.
- ½ Tsp.Of garlic powder.
- ½ Tsp.Of onion powder.
- 1st Step – Set the temperature in the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2nd Step – Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, and relish together in a bowl. Stir well then season with salt and pepper, then stir in the onion and garlic powders.
- 3rd Step – In a pan, melt the olive oil over medium heat, then add the ground beef.
- 4th Step – After the onions have been diced, add them to the steak and mix everything together. Once everything is done cooking, remove any excess grease from the skillet.
- 5th Step – The ground beef should already be in the pan when you add the seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder). Bring the water to a boil in the pan.
- 6th Step – Combine all of the ingredients, then continue heating the mixture until there is no more water, then remove the dish away from the heat.
- 7th Step – Spread parchment paper on the bottom of a baking sheet. After that, cut the sub rolls in half lengthwise and lay them open side up on the baking sheet.
- 8th Step – Spread the special sauce over the top side of the roll, and then ladle the ground beef mixture onto the bottom halves of all four rolls in a uniform distribution, and top with the roll tops.
- 9th Step – On top of the ground beef, evenly distribute the cheddar cheese, then set the baking sheet in the oven and continue baking for approximately 6 to 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.