HOMEMADE LEMON MERINGUE PIE
Lemon meringue pie is a classic dessert, and this dish has a zesty lemon curd and a mountain of fluffy meringue. An irresistible dessert has a crust made of flaky pastry, a filling that is both sweet and tangy, and a meringue that has been toasted. Using a pie crust that has already been cooked makes the recipe easier to follow, but if you have the time and want, you may create your own from scratch.
After eating a hearty dinner, you should finish things off with a slice of this silky and smooth lemon meringue tart. It is really simple to prepare, and one does not need any skills to do so. Just remember to cool the pie thoroughly before slicing it so you get nice, even pieces every time!!!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THE LEMON FILLING:
- Egg yolks; I used 4 large.
- 1/3 Cup + 3 Tbsp.Of cornstarch.
- 1 1/3 Cups.Of granulated sugar.
- 1/4 Tsp.Of fine salt.
- 1 1/2 Cups.Of cool water.
- 5 Tbsp.Of unsalted butter.
- 1 Tbsp.Of grated lemon zest.
- 1/2 Cup.Of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- A 9-inch pre-baked pie shell.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THE MERINGUE TOPPING:
- Egg whites; I used 4 from the filling.
- Cream of tartar; I used a pinch.
- 8 Tbsp.Of granulated sugar.
- 1st Step – In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth, then put aside.
- 2nd Step – In a saucepan of medium size, combine the cornstarch, sugar, and salt by whisking them together. Stir in the water gradually to mix. Place over moderate heat. Stir the mixture continuously and bring it to a boil. Boil for one minute before removing from heat.
- 3rd Step – While constantly whisking, gradually add 1/2 cup of the heated cornstarch mixture to the egg yolks until at least half of the cornstarch mixture has been incorporated.
- 4th Step – Combine the remaining cornstarch and water in a saucepan, then add the egg mixture. Reduce the heat to low and whisk continuously for a further minute.
- 5th Step – Remove from heat and mix in the butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice until well incorporated. Pour the mixture into the pie crust that has already been cooked. Set aside.
PREPARING THE MERINGUE TOPPING:
- 1st Step – In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Then, include the cream of tartar and continue whipping for a few minutes until greater peaks form.
- 2nd Step – Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time and beat until firm peaks form roughly one to two minutes.
PIE ASSEMBLY AND BAKING:
- 1st Step – Set the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2nd Step – While the filling is still warm, dollop the meringue on top of it while it is still in the bowl. It is important that the meringue thoroughly covers the lemon mixture.
- 3rd Step – Bake the meringue for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. After that, take it out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, chill for one hour in the refrigerator. Sliced up, serve, and enjoy.